Sunday, September 30, 2018

feeling poor at Chatsworth

I woke to find it wet outside! I didn't notice that on the forecast! Still it stopped by the time I left...

First stop was Bakewell.... I like Bakewell it has a river running through it and I know it has a good spot for Dippers :)


The bridge is now full of locks












There is a dipper there (I saw two)  alas no telephoto, also saw Kingfisher, Great Spotted Woodpecker and Treecreeper











So off to Chatsworth.

I walked into the cafe and gawped at the prices! Cheese Roll £6 ... a scone ? £2.95!! Pass!!
Now I know we all have to do our bit to cut out plastics but a 330 ml glass bottle of diet coke £2.60.... whereas in the garden cafe a 500ml plastic bottle of Coke Zero £2.10.....

Now the cost of House & Garden £21... Garden £13.....  So as I get free access to garden as a HHA member an extra £8 to look around house? No £10....

Right I'll stop moaning because Chatsworth is an AMAZING building.

Chatsworth was begun by Bess of Hardwick in 1553 but she wouldn't recognise it.... it was essentially rebuilt starting 1687..... the grounds are Capability Brown... I appreciate we are all meant to admire Brown BUT I wish we could have some of the gardens that came before... a bit of variety?







































































1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

I liked Bakewell too when we visited - the church is very good and the town lovely There are even more locks than when we went!

Chatsworth looks lovely - but what a price!!!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.