Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Norfolk Day 4 - Hunstanton & Peckover House

I forget when I first went to Hunstanton probably late 70's ? I have memories of a pleasant little sea side town. It was split in two the south bit a bit more kiss me quick but not overly the north a lovely expanse of grass with putting greens, bowling lawns leading to a ruin chapel a lighthouse and a pitch and putt.

Ironically given the heat I once visited with Mum and Dad and dad walked along the grass with the wind blowing a gale wrapping his trousers round his skinny legs... Mum was in hysterics..

I took the following picture there god knows when


It had a decent book shop, you could catch a show at the princess theatre it was a nice place and I have fond memories. The pier as had a chequered history and what was left after fires etc was  washed away in 1978 leaving 15ft of pier and the pavilion this was destroyed by fire in 2002.

Now I can tell you are all expecting me to slam the place now ;) To be fair to the authorities they try.... it is a regular Britain in Bloom winner.



The ruined chapel of St Edmund is now a memorial garden. Oh the wolf ? there is a legend about Edmund and a wolf




The lighthouse is now holiday flats.



The bowling green


Fulmar live on the cliffs and are easy to see



Hang on they cut MY putting green to 9 holes and moved the crazy gold to the bottom bit... the old crazy golf is now a children's playground.










The new pavillion




This is Henry Styleman Le Strange who developed the area South of Old Hunstanton.....


And then I hit the main street SIGH.... coffee shops and very cheap oh  as I get older I get to be such a snob..... Richard butchers holds on but it is not what it is! I have lamented MANY times that in the old days a trip to the seaside was a journey into the unknown..... you could find things that were never in land...... Oh the American Comics I bought!


Still the gardens are lovely! This is a memorial  to those who died in the great storm of 1953.



Peckover House is in Wisbech. A Georgian town but one that has seen MUCH better times I fear

Peckover is a small property and in the grand scheme of things (Holkham and Houghton) is fairly "ordinary". BUT it is has a lovely garden one I love visiting
















I found a spot with a seat under a tree in the shade with a breeze and read it was HEAVEN!






Apparently there was a rockery here and it is being reinstated









Algie  the cat! he is very friendly! Apparently Blackbirds nick his food!




The scone? Sigh stodgy.... this was sad since I have some corkers here!

























I stopped off at Sandringham for a drink.... the Queen is here I believe for the flower festival so the garden is closed.


2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

What a lovely walk down memory lane and a great photo of your mum and dad. You have a good memory :) I love the legend of the wolf - thank you for the link.

The gardens look a beautiful location to just sit and read.

Tricia Ryder said...


Another good day by the looks of it... Pity about the scone... Hunstanton looking very colourful :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.