Tuesday, April 03, 2018

eBooks / Books

Back in 2011 (when I actually used to write stuff and not just post lots of pictures!) I wrote this piece about how Classic SF wasn't available for the Kindle (other e-readers are available)

In 2018 things are  better if still patchy. There are now lots of Arthur C Clarke & Robert A Heinlein available but others considerably less. Asimov is very odd, I have some titles downloaded that are no longer available and for the longest time only Second Foundation was available of the Foundation Trilogy. I check every so often and have found that Galaxy Publishing have a couple of collections out of things they published in the 1950's (these consist of a serialized novel and some short stories) but I was pleased to see FINALLY that the first two Foundation volumes are available in May as is I-Robot.

There are a lot of books I'd like to reread Pohl's Gateway Trilogy, Pohl & Kornbluth's The Space Merchants, Eric Frank Russell short stories and James White's Hospital Station (I saw a second hand copy at Baddesley Clinton a  year so ago and should have bought it!) are examples but it is getting better. John Wyndham is very well represented on e-books.

Why I ask not read the book? Firstly I am an impulse reader I often suddenly decide I want to read something and an e-reader means I can suddenly change my mind (if you are  on holiday you can't take an entire library).

Now many people say they don't get the same "buzz" from holding a book. Now I do get this argument with reference books but not so much for fiction.

Curiously I barely use my kindle these days... I read on the phone (certain friends can stop laughing now)! The only time I NEED a kindle is outside in bright sunshine.

On Saturday I went in to a bookshop and it was a nice feeling BUT "ooh that series looks interesting ah they haven't got book one or the one by the author I want isn't there". Whereas with an e-reader click and it's there!

Now I appreciate that I am part of a problem since high streets and book shops are important but for Fiction I don't want to shove 5 or so heavy books in my case with a restricted weight limit. Solutions? I don't know it's a worry.

My current reading list?
Henry Kuttner - The Best of
Larry Niven - The Golden Apples of the Sun
John Wyndham - Consider Her Ways: And other
Larry Niven - Madness from the Inconstant Moon

I may take a few books with me on my next trip though :)

1 comment:

Tricia Ryder said...

Can't get into reading at the mo - don't now why.. need to source some new books methinks.... in that dilemma stage when I don't know what I'm in the mood for!!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.