Saturday, September 09, 2017

Montacute and Tintinhull

So where today? The forecast wasn't good.....

I've often said that perhaps my favourite collection of National Trust properties is found in South Somerset. Within about 15 miles you have Lytes Cary, Tintinhull, Montacute and Barrington Court. So I headed to Montacute.

Montacute is a late Elizabethan House built by Sir Edward Phelips Master of the Rolls and the prosecutor of the gunpowder plot. It is also home to a collection of portraits from the National Portrait Gallery.


However I went into the village to get a paper and visit St Catherine's church. My reward was a Hummingbird Hawkmoth!! Which really surprised me.










Into the garden.


































It started to rain so I nipped in for lunch!


I've been around the house a few times and anyway 2 miles up the road is Tintinhull.

The house was built in 1630 but it was enlarged and reshaped in the 1720's a few rooms are open but the reason for coming is the arts & craft small garden. I really love this garden it is so liveable and I am always happy to wander and sit and read here.
































2 comments:

Tricia Ryder said...

Do love both these properties.. I will have to go back possibly next year.. Great flutters - again! :)

Ragged Robin said...

Good to have so many lovely NT properties within easy reach of each other. Love the butterfly photos and well done on the Hummingbird Hawkmoth - please send one my way :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.