Monday, July 11, 2016

It is a late year...

I was listening to Gardener's Question Time yesterday.

Now I will admit that statement is not something I ever thought I'd be writing when I started this blog but hey...

First there was an interesting point over bees. They were discussing whether foreign plants were bad for bees and the expert said that some bees are generalists and are fine with virtually anything but some species are more picky and they mentioned that one type of mining bee only feeds on one specific species of native flower. They all said we should garden less tidily to encourage insects - my head gardener would have a fit at this ;)

Less of interest to me personally, a member of the public asked why his tomato plants were so bad and the expert said that it was the latest he had ever had a crop from his plants. He put this down to lack of light.

Now what is interesting is that a few people commented on this blog recently how few flutters they have seen and this is something I've noticed. Also I have seen very few damsel and dragonflies this year. Now I don't go to many nature reserves these but any good pond should attract damsels  and dragons but I've seen very few. I wonder if the lack of sun is the cause.

Lets hope we get some sun soon or it could be a dire year.

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Interesting post Pete - very few butterflies, moths, bees, hovers or dragons/damsels seen here either or when on holiday. I too suspect it is due to cool, rainy weather with so little sunshine.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.