Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Simplicity

We are a lazy lot (me more so than most :D).

We no longer get up to change the telly - we have a remote control. We don't do the washing up - we have a dishwasher. And even the washing is much easier than our grandparents had it. If you think not you should have heard my mum wax lyrical on an automatic washing machine!

Hell we can't even be bothered to prepare our food. We go to the supermarket for ready meals and pre-packed sandwiches - mea culpa.

Photography has gone the same way - snap snap snap. Delete the rubbish - years ago every picture was money and you had to compose and get it right. There were few quality zooms. There were fixed magnification lenses and you moved your feet.

I will admit I have a collection of zoom lenses but as time goes buy I appreciate that the few primes I have tend to produce much better images. I've spent my last few trips with a 20f1.7 on my Panasonic GF1 and a Sigma 150 f2.8 macro on the d300 and I've enjoyed it. I'm not saying that there is a place for zooms. There is!

My friend twitchibider rented a Canon 100-400 f4-5.6 and a 300f4 prime and thought the prime much the better lens. When/if Nikon get off their corporate backside and put VR in the 300f4 and afs into their 80-400 I know what I'd be temped by. A 16mm f2.8 prime would be nice as well :D

And panasonic can I have a 12mm and 50mm pancake.

The truth is that I'm enjoying the simplicity of not zooming so much.

No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.