Monday, May 31, 2010

this and that

Most of the day has been really miserable! Dull, grey, with the odd hint of drizzle. The sun is out now!

Anyway I decided there was no point going far so I went to a small Essex Wildlife Trust reserve called Aubrey Buxton. Its a small woodland reserve with a few ponds. Highlights were a juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker.









And then to Rye Meads. The car park was packed, apparently the Kingfisher was due to fledge. I never bothered to get into the hide as it would be full of people with long lenses sitting there for ages. I saw him later on with a fish flying down the river.

Lots of young birds about. I was pleased that there were 2 Terns but not sure they'll breed. There was a Little Ringed Plover.

You have to admit that Coots are wonderful parents.







I some my first young coots in a particular spot on HMWT reserve part of the reserve and in the same spot but older?




Aw!





2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Great photos again, Pete. Aubrey Buxton looks a great little reserve and I love the woodland photos. The young birds are cute and I especially like the photos of the swan and cygnets.

Tricia Ryder said...

Aubrey Buxton looks attractive - not heard of this one.

And the cygnets on Mum's back certainly get the "aw" prize today :D

Well, at least you got to see the Kingfisher albeit from a distance _ lovely

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.