Monday, May 25, 2009

I went to see the Dragons really....

As I mentioned I was planning ongoing to Wicken Fen on Saturday and didn't so today I headed off.

I had noticed last night that a Squacco Heron at Wicken so I expected a few more birders about than normal.

As it was early I headed out to Adventurers Fen the sun was shining brightly at this stage so it boded well. There were Turtledoves calling but could I see them? No! there was one at Hatfield Saturday and he was not playing ball either.

ooh first Hawker of the year!

A Hairy Dragonfly.




From the first hide there were Redshanks and Lapwings and from the second I added this chap and a Cuckoo.


Well on to where the Squacco was. And there it was to far for photos. Loads of Litte Egrets and a pair of Terns on a nest.

I headed off with Cetti's and Blackcaps teasing me from bushes. I did see Sedge Warblers, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaff and Whitethroat. There was a Marsh Harrier in the distance and then this chap.





As I strolled on I suddenly saw this "dove" perched up. Ooh a Turtledove! a few record shots.





The sun had stopped shining and so my chances of further dragons was limited so I headed off. A rather pleasant 3-4 hours.

5 comments:

Carol said...

I had a dragonfly on my clothesline this morning...kept trying to reel him in close enough for a shot..no luck. Guess I need a bigger lens or a scope.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

The Quacks of Life said...

hi carol, finally added you to my blogroll.

you do need a reasonably powerful lens.

although you get armadillos!!

holdingmoments said...

Sounds like a good day Pete.
Well done on seeing the Squacco; never seen one of these before.
Turtle Dove too; excellent day!

Tricia Ryder said...

Well I'm impressed - seeing a Squacco - have to admit I've not heard of them!!

And a turtle dove as well - not seen one of those but would love to.

Good pics and a lovely day by the sounds of it!

And yes, a very strange light today.

oldcrow61 said...

Great pictures Pete. Can't wait to see my first dragonfly of the season.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.