Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.


Saturday, October 04, 2008

Incongruous

The weather doesn't promise much this weekend and so as I didn't fancy long drives I stayed local.

I've not been over the Forest for a while and it's always interesting to see the changes. Perhaps the most bizarre thing was to see a few remaining House Martins zipping about for food before they head off south for winter, whilst also seeing a flock of Redwings who no doubt have just arrived for winter! The lake had no surprises but the usual Mallards have been joined by teal and gadwall.

Only 1 pair of Great Crested Grebe remained with their youngster (well so I could see), it seems to have been a good year for the Grebes.








The tit family are colourful little fella but the very similar Marsh and Willow Tit are more subdued. This is a Marsh Tit.





So on to Rye Meads. Few Green Sandpipers and Snipe about, also a lone Wigeon.



Shoveler


Wigeon


Youngster practicing.





A distant Common Snipe


When this chap landed everything headed for the water!

6 comments:

Tricia said...

Like the Heron pic - good sequence of swan taking off too.....

Wendy said...

Nice pics. I also loved the swan taking off!

Island Rambles Blog said...

I love the shoveler photo as I rarely see them...nice grouping of the swans and the heron...Pete I think I may need your help, if you can drop by my site I would be so grateful.

oldcrow61 said...

Your marsh tit reminds me so much of our little chick a Dee. Guess it's the black cap. I love the pictures of the youngster practicing.

Pete said...

OC i think they were once considered to be the same species. they are similar, belong to the same family.

digibirder said...

Love the second pic - ducks in a row and their reflections.