Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.


Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Eagles over East Anglia.

Apparently plans are being drawn up to release White-Tailed Sea Eagles on the Suffolk coast! If the plan goes ahead the birds would be released some time in 2009.

As I reported a few days ago there are 42 breeding pairs in Scotland following a successful retinroduction.

For your info there are no records of a WT Sea Eagle ever attacking Humans, even a child. There normal food is rabbits and gulls, so coming to a rubbish tip near!

Seriously these are magnificent birds with an 8 foot wingspan! Will certainly enliven a walk in Suffolk!

6 comments:

KAZ said...

I do worry about reintroductions - messing with mother nature and all that.
Still, it's worked for the stork in the region of Spain that I visit.

Mo said...

Good luck to the eagles. Having been lucky enough to see them in Scotland I know they're wonderful birds. I hope they aren't persecuted by farmers there. The first pair to nest on mainland Scotland (Loch Morar) were both poisoned a few years ago.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful birds.
If anyone gets the chance to visit Scotland go to the Isle of Mull. The locals have a rota system during the breeding season to watch the nests.
(West coast of Scotland too)
WT Eagles have been likened to a flying Barn door!


I think they are fabulous fliers.

oldcrow61 said...

These are beautiful birds, I wish them the best.

Chris said...

Hello Pete, thanks for visiting my blog and for the info re IS. I will look into it :-) I do wonder sometimes what effect introducing one species of wildlife will have on the others but agree these are magnificient birds.

ocean and forest walks said...

I like this news item a lot Pete. I have never seen a White-Tailed eagle, well just on YouTube.I hope they can reintroduce them.