Thursday, June 28, 2007

Paris

I was watching the first episode of the new BBC2 three part series on Paris. And an enjoyable hour it was.

The first episode City of Dreams reveals how Paris battled through turmoil and revolution to become the city we know today, though we were shown many of the common landmarks we did see some that the average tourist would know nothing about. The programme went into the sewers and visited a restaurant famed for its discreet boudoir lounges.

The programme also explained that two of modern Paris's most photographed landmarks, the Basilica of Sacré Coeur and the Eiffel Tower, were hated when they were first built (Art critic Brian Sewell still hates Sacré Coeur).

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme and sat there thinking ooh would like to go there and what about there and.......

The Programme was presented by art historian Sandrine Voillet who was educated at the
Ecole du Louvre and is now director of a private collection. Voillet is immensely watchable she is undoubtedly knowledgeable and enthusiastic of her subject, she has that wonderful French accent and is very easy on the eye . Why is it that French woman seem so stylish and elegant?


11 comments:

DH59 said...

So, does that mean that English women are not stylish, or 'elegant and refined'?? ;)

oldcrow61 said...

Sounds like it was a very interesting program. I agree with you about the French women looking stylish and elegant, at least what I've seen of them.

The Quacks of Life said...

was good OC

digi - thinks... well obviously you are the exception.........

KAZ said...

Like a lot of French women (and men) Sandrine was not conventionally 'pretty' but just had that wonderful 'je ne sais quoi'.
If I did know 'quoi' I'd get some meself.

Jan said...

Probably because they have sexy French men to impress. ;)

The Quacks of Life said...

Kaz - exactly!

Jan - the other Jan prefers Italians

Cherrypie said...

You must go. Paris is beautiful and only a couple of hours away from you on the train.

You know you owe it to yourself.

The Quacks of Life said...

of course I should go but I am a wimp about foreign travel on my own

Cherrypie said...

Keep a look out for 2-4-1s on Eurostar or cheap flights from Stansted and I'll show you around. It might have to be next year though. I'm time-off challenged, not to mention skint.

The Quacks of Life said...

CP - and I have no holiday left!!

Mo said...

It was a great programme -a big nostalgia trip for me. And I loved that the dialogues with Parisians were all in French.

October is a gorgeous month to visit - still warm and sunny and not crawling with Japanese tourists.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.