Saturday, January 13, 2007

Barnes

Well I was meeting some people at Barnes today.

I normally take the train but today I drove!! Of course I left way too early!! So read for a bit and added Ring Necked Parakeet to the yearlist!

At 9:30 Myself, Elizabeth, Malcolm, Alan, Hugh and Tricia set off. Corinna had overslept and joined us later.

I appreciate that some birders are "sniffy" about the collection but they gave snapping practice (I totally codged up some pics AND could someone give me some light!).







This chap is wild!



Also a one legged Moorhen hopping around :(



We saw all the "common" ducks and there were nice numbers of Ruddy Ducks. At Headley Hide we got distant views of the Bittern. Also Snipe, Lapwing and Linnet. Good spot by EB of a Stonechat

Hugh and Malcolm with EB and tricia behind.



From the second wildside hide we had an obliging Green Woodpecker. On the way Malcolm spied a Water Rail.



More collection birds.










After a quick bit to eat we went to the Peacock hide. These sheep were on an island in the middle of one of the ponds.



There were quite a few tits and finches on the way. Oh we found one of the highly elusive Robins.

I think this is a hybrid Ring Neck x Tufty Duck



Lots of gulls from Peaccock hide.

So back for lunch and adieu to Hugh.



The Observatory through up distant views of the bittern and a perched Sparrowhawk.

This is taken through the glass!!



We said goodbye to Alan and went back out...




This chap saw us.



My list of wild stuff seen.
  1. Mute Swan
  2. Canada Goose
  3. Shelduck
  4. Wigeon
  5. Gadwall
  6. Mallard
  7. Shoveller
  8. Teal
  9. Pochard
  10. Tufted Duck
  11. Ruddy Duck
  12. Little Grebe
  13. Great Crested Grebe
  14. Cormorant
  15. Bittern
  16. Grey Heron
  17. Sparrowhawk
  18. Moorhen
  19. Coot
  20. Water Rail
  21. Lapwing
  22. Snipe
  23. Common Gull
  24. Lesser Black Backed Gull
  25. Black Headed Gull
  26. Herring Gull
  27. Feral Pigeon
  28. Wood Pigeon
  29. Ring Necked Parakeet
  30. Green Woodpecker
  31. Pied Wagtail (on way home)
  32. Wren
  33. Robin
  34. Stonechat
  35. Blackbird
  36. Long Tailed Tit
  37. Blue Tit
  38. Great Tit
  39. Magpie
  40. Jackdaw
  41. Crow
  42. Starling
  43. Chaffinch
  44. Greenfinch
  45. Linnet
and that hybrid !

3 comments:

Eagleseagles said...

For sheet read sheep!!

I overslept from my original early hour as I had heaps to do before I could leave. Feed cats and then spend time with my friends Kittens...having lost then found the keys!!

I dipped the dratted Snipe ---again!!
Going to Isle of Sheep tomorrow so should get them there!!

A very pleasant day after a hectic start.
My rear tyre was flat when I got back to the car park...after using my new tyre pump (from the cigarette lighter) I had to get home unload lots of stuff from the boot and 2 new tyres later and £122 pounds lighter. I am set for tomorrow!!

C


ps should have put this on my blog...guess what cant get in today!!

oldcrow61 said...

Wow Pete, wonderful pictures.

Boo said...

Lovely pics Pete! Sounds like you had a pleasant day out.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.