Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Robert Goddard

I've been struggling to read recently. I'm not quite certain why this should be, ok I haven't been at my best but still I should have been reading more.

Of course yahoo chat and blogs eat into time but given how little time I spend watching telly I'd have thought I would have made more progress.

Anyway Sunday afternoon I FINALLY finished the Dark Room by Minette Walters which was ok but not one of her best. I immediately reached over to pick up the latest by Robert Goddard - Never Go Back.

Synopsis
For a group of ex-comrades, it is to be the reunion to end all reunions: a weekend in the Scottish castle where they were guinea pigs in a psychological experiment many years before. They haven't seen each other since. But the convivial atmosphere on the journey north is quickly shattered by the apparent suicide of one of their party. When a second death occurs, a sense of forboding descends on the group. It appears that the past is coming back to haunt them, a past that none of them have ever spoken about. Their recollections are all frighteningly different. So what really happened? Then when one of them uncovers an extraordinary secret, he becomes convinced that they will never leave the castle alive...


I read the first page and the protagonists name rang a bell.... Harry Barnett..... Oh he was in Into the Blue (one of Goddard's very best) and Out of the Sun.

Anyway I read 149 pages of this Sunday and I didn't spend my lunch hour perusing the net but read another 80 pages and finished it last night. There is something about Goddard, he has that ability to make you read on to find out what happens.

Never Go Back is only average Goddard but still eminently readable, I ought to add that even at his worst he is readable at his best addictive. For anyone new to him I'd recommend Into the Blue, Caught in the Light or Past Caring (his first and the first I read, read on one Sunday afternoon if memory serves).

I'm now reading Book 11 of the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I HOPE there is only one more. Don't think this will zip along quite as quickly. But after so long I want to see how it ends.

1 comment:

Eagleseagles said...

Hiya Pete.

I picked up Never Go Back at the airport along with Ruth Rendell's End in tears.
Didn't read them until I was in NZ!
Too much interesting films and documentaries and travel stuff on the plane , when I wasn't attempting to sleep!!
The Goddard is a book that once started you have to finish! I'd agree its not his best but very readable.
The Ruth Rendell is another Wexford
tale...with a good twist!!
Rough Guide is the book of the moment alto I've swooped my 2 with 2 of my friends books.....one is Kathy Reiches " Fatal Voyage " -
its blurb includes...better than Patricia Cornwall....

C

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.