Saturday, November 25, 2006

Nostalgia Again

I awoke to wind and rain oh and England being crushed by the Aussies.

When eventually I dragged myself out of bed I went to London Colney. No I wasn't visiting the In-focus branch there to look at optics, I went to Borders bookshop.

As I was browsing I came across the graphic novel section. I was surprised by the number of reprints of comics from when I was a lad. There were reprints of Batmans and Supermans, I was never a big fan of DC comics (who published those two comics) Superman who was virtually all powerful was never up against opponents who believeably could beat him. They also had reprints of Marvel comics, Spiderman, Thor, the Avengers, X-Men all of whom I fondly remember and had real opponents. They had a volume of the Fantastic Four which featured the classic battle between the Thing and the Hulk. I remember this vividly as I was about 8 when it was eventually published in the UK and I was ill and my Dad went and bought it for me before going to work. It's odd the things you remember but I can remember many of the old comics i used to read and the characters and the stories.

They also had collections of a comic called Commando which was war stories. I don't remember commando but I do remember War Picture Libraries and Battle Picture Libraries which were similar. Harlow market used to have a stall where you could buy back issues of these cheaply.

Sea side holidays used to see a different type of comics. They had titles called Uncanny and Astonishing (and others) which had vaguely supernatural stories all of which were American. Curiously you never saw these titles inland. Of course this variation doesn't happen now.

I know all my old comics are in the parents attic, they've probably rotted I guess but i bet if I took them down and they were readable I'd spend many a happy hour reminiscing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess now people our age are calling the shots, we see more of these nostalgia items back in the shops. Hoorah!

At least I think we're calling the shots - an awful lot of poor quality 'young' stuff around... ahem.

Have to say I'm annoyed with Bloglines for not letting me know you were updating. I thought you were so quiet!

Anonymous said...

Pete, you should get those comics out of the attic, bet it would be great to see them again. OC

The Quacks of Life said...

OC

I have bought some collections ;)

Eagleseagles said...

hey Pete if your comics are in good nick you could be sitting on a fortune. i remember in the late 70's a friend who collected Marvel comics kept them in plastic folders...I loved them, the graphics and illustrations were brill.
I remember Red Sonja too...a real shero!!

C

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.