Monday, November 20, 2006

A good motorway service station!

If you are anything like me you hate motorway service stations. Petrol is expensive but that is nothing compared to the price of a cup of coffee or a sandwich. Refrains of "£3.50 for a pre packed cheese sandwich" are known to utter my lips.

So for me they are places to eat the sarnie I bought from Tesco, drink my flask, buy a paper and have a "comfort break".

So I was intrigued to read about Tebay service station at Junction 38 on the M6. Tebay is family owned it has homemade food, with beef and lamb from the farm. The sandwiches are fresh daily. The farm shop offers local produce - meat, cheeses, fruit and veg. Sandwiches are still expensive but if they are tasty and fresh that is an improvement on the normal prepacked rubbish. There are views over Howgill Fell, while outside picnic areas are made of sympathetic stone. There is even a pond. With ducks!!

A pity I didn't know this last summer, sounds like it was worth a detour.

3 comments:

Boo said...

Yes Pete, it is a super place. We stopped there whenever we went to visit my brother in Ayr! Sadly both he and his wife died within six months of each other. He was 52 and she was 48. They had a difficult life, but they were happy in spite of it.

Sitting eating sandwiches and watching the ducks, what more could you ask for to relax from all that driving!

flicker said...

I really must get out more, cos I like Motorway services! I thoroughly enjoyed my two stops at Leigh Delamare when I went up mum's the other week. I suppose I am easily pleased where food is concerned though, I know you lot are fast-food haters (MacDonalds etc in particular) but I just loved the Burger King Veggie Burger, the coffee, and looking round the shops in there. The M&S food store was a revelation too! Of course, the nice weather, and having my pets with me was good though, and feeding some rooks with bread....

The Quacks of Life said...

ah M&S food stores my idea of heaven!!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.