Thursday, November 02, 2006

Cough Hack Cough

I treated my colleagues to the 1812 overture this morning. I'm not entirely certain they were impressed.

I decided no enough was enough I'd make an appointment to see a Doctor.

Ring Ring Press Button.
Receptionist - Hello
Me - Can I make an appointment to see a doctor
R - Is it an emergency?
Me - Well uh no.
R - Well its emergencies only today (I later learned it was townwide training this afternoon)
Me - ok tomorrow?
R - No you'll have to phone at 8:30 for a morning appointment and at 14:00 for an afternoon one.
Me - next week?!?
R - 14:20 Monday ?
Me - SIGH ok

I later spoke to the pharmacist who said that it was probably a viral infection and could take 3 weeks. no treatment keep taking the cough medicine to ease it!!

So I am sitting here sucking a Halls soother.

If I feel better Monday I'll cancel the appointment.

Now I do understand what the doctor is doing. By restricting appointments he can claim he is actually seeing people within the deadlines improving his BVPI. Its called working the system. I work in Local Government, been there mate. To be fair that isn't what the Government intended but if a doctor doesn't do it his BVPI is low and questions are asked..........

Of course you and I are partly to blame, we moan about taxes so the government introduces some stat to ensure your money is well spent. I seem to be spending most of my time on these jolly whizz wheezes

Luckily I work in IT and don't have to deal with the public. But next time you moan about lazy council officers I suggest you get a job on the front line. There is a lot wrong with Local Government but it employs some hard working people who of course get no thanks.

2 comments:

KAZ said...

Hi Pete - Hope you are soon feeling better.
Thanks for giving support to the front line workers who take all the flak. We are so busy slagging off the NHS etc that we sometimes forget these hard working people.

nicola said...

whilst I do understand what its like to be in the front line every day. Its sometimes unfair to blame the organisation you are dealing with, or the individual. However in many of my experinces it is the way in which the individual deals with the situation that makes the difference, between blood boiling and accepting that nothing can be done. I had the misfortune of getting such individuals at our local council for one of my clients, to be honest I was very close to actually going down there myself. A simple situation was was dealt with horribly, with no professionalism and to be honest I lost all faith in the council. Which of course wrongly has left me with the impression now that they are all the same. On the other hand I have had issues which have been extremely frustrating, but as it was dealt with fantasticaly I had nothing but praise even though the end result wasnt in my favour.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.