Friday, October 13, 2006

Not very Christian is it........

Simon, who runs the excellent Suffolk and Norfolk church websites, was telling me (ok it was an email!) about a Vicar who has asked him to remove the entries for the two parish churches he serves. The two churches are Hunstanton St Edmund & Ringstead St Andrew. I hope Simon doesn't mind me quoting but the vicar's objection seemed to be Simon having a website based on his "own prejudiced ideas". Apparently there is an OFFICIAL website and he finds "it very worrying that someone can set up a website without the permission of those whose task it is to attend to the ministry and mission of the Church.". I mean really who do these people think they are. Everytime I find myself drawn to the church, and yes there are times, I find myself put off by something. Whether it be clergyman/wardens to full of their own importance or finding them as big supporters of creationist theories. Anyway I was trying to find the offical website when I came across Ship of Fools. Ship of Fools is a christian website that describes itself as The Magazine of Christian unrest. I do like those religious types who can laugh at themselves. Anyway I happened across a Ship of Fools Mystery Worshipper report of St Edmunds Hunstanton. But that isn't what prompted this blog. There is an article whereby by SofF got fooled! They received a complaint that one of the reviews was too positive and apparently its a cold day in hell when this happens. It would appear that a Priest/Vicar wrote the reports himself praising his dress sense and singing. It would also that he has done this before under different user ids. The priest has even admitted to misleading his congregation about taking a service at Westminser Abbey. Sounds a trustworthy bloke doesn't he. Of course there are vicars/churches with a sense of humour. Sadly the excellent Rivenhall Church near me is normally locked but the Vicar was able to give me instructions as to how to get in. In their website is the following section. Go look you'll enjoy. The lovely Kate was asking me for info about St John the Baptist Finchingfield and whether I had any photos. I have told her I don't..... yet. I'm off next Thursday YES I KNOW!! But I can't keep accumulating hours and I don't want to take the Friday as we are putting stuff live tonight and I want to be about for the next few Fridays. So I think a walk in the forest at Hatfield and a trip over to Finchingfield and its environs is a good idea. Expect to see some photos!!

1 comment:

KAZ said...

Have you read 'Alan Bennett's Untold Stories? You'd love the bits about churches and Christians.
Sorry, but I'm a bit of a bore about this book at the moment.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.