Monday, September 11, 2006

Five Years on

Well today is five years since 9/11.

I steeled myself for yet another memorial. I am a natural cynic. I felt that if the World Trade Centre had happened elsewhere would we be remembering it? Would so much attention be paid? I think the answer is no but.........

I was driving along and the boss of Cantor Fitzgerald was giving his recollections and I found it terribly moving. He related how he was late for work that day because his son started kindergarten. His best friend also worked at the World Trade Centre. They had gone to college together and he had a son the same age. His son started school on September 12th................

I daresay there are a number of survivors who have similar stories. There will be people who died who just happened to have a meeting that day.

I guess the world is full of What Ifs.

I suspect I will remain a cynic. I think that a dose of cynicism in a society that seems to see things so much more black and white is no bad thing. But that does not, and should not, stop me remembering that 3000 people died for no good reason. That children were deprived of parents. Husbands of wives, wives of husbands. Dreams were shattered and for many innocence lost.

No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.