Thursday, August 31, 2006

Nostalgia

I read yesterday that it is thirty years since Charlie's Angels was first broadcast. Oh that makes me feel old.

I suppose most people know of Charlie's Angels through the recent film but your blogger remembers the orignal. "Once upon a time there were three little girls who went to the police acamedy ........ but I took them away from all that. My name is Charlie."

The concept was a detective agency with 3 attractive woman and a male boss who you only see on the phone. The original Angels were Sabrina (Kate Jackson) - the smart one, Kelly (Jaclyn Smith) - the Sophisticated one and Jill (Farrah Fawcett Majors) - the athletic one. The show was amazingly successful. FFM left after one series, Kate Jackson after 3 and only Jaclyn Smith went to the end. Apparently there were 6 angels but I can only remember 5.

None of the actresses went on to big things acting wise. Jaclyn Smith became queen of day time movies. Kate Jackson starred in the Scarecrow and Mrs King. However it was Farrah Fawcett who was the big winner. If you are of a certain age you will remember Farrah, all blone hair and teeth. A poster of her in a swim suit sold 12 million copies, aged nearly 50 she did a playboy shoot (it was the biggest selling of the 90's apparently and the answer is no I haven't seen it!).

At the time the show was seen as sexy and popular.It all seems terribly tame now.
Like other hit shows of the time, Starsky & Hutch, The Six Million Dollar Man it feels very dated. It was repeated on Channel 5 recently and I just turned off.

Somethings are best left as Memories.

On the website (see link above)

3 comments:

Cherrypie said...

I was always Sabrina. My sister was Kelly. Cheryl Ladd had taken over from FFM by the time I was old enough to watch it.

Growing up to be a Charlies's Angel was certainly a career ambition I held for some time. I occasionally flick my hair like that even now, as I'm sure do you. x

Anonymous said...

My gosh, thirty years ago my dad was as old as I am now.. :D I feel old too though, I've heard my self say "ten years ago...". :S

Anonymous said...

I didn't see Charlie's Angels but I watched Starsky and Hutch. I liked Starsky - had to be different.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.