Sunday, August 20, 2006

Monday 14th August,

Over the past two years or so my church list has stagnated. I really should have passed 600 last year. Still this holiday (or at least the N Lincs bit) I had but one motive to break 600 Jenkins churches. Although I had set backs Saturday today was the day it would be easy. I had 13 targets and only needed 8.

So I somehow missed the first and the second was locked. There was a Spot Crake at Blacktoft enthusiasm was flagging but the next was open.

St Peter, Markby (593). The only thatched church in Lincolnshire.



Next St Andrew, Hannah(594) with its tiny georgian interior. Look at that font!





I was soon to be kept out again although this was understandable but I was back on track and on a roll at

St Peter & St Paul, Burgh Le Marsh (595) with its fine Jacobean woodwork and its Wooden Eagle lectern carvered by the barber!



I was knocked back at the next but St Peter & St Paul, Langton-By-Spilsby (596) was another Georgian interior which belied its dull exterior.






I was unable to find Bag Enderby not a flipping road sign! But it was there on the map!

St Benedict, Haltham (597) was open and charming.


The next was locked, I could have gone for the key but time was moving on and anyway it is open Sundays so maybe another year.

The problem was I was on 597 and only had 2 targets left!!

Still I stopped at Tatershall Castle for a look round.



It had loads of games and things for the kids. The magnificent collegiate church next door had a BBQ going and was selling cakes inside.

The church is very fine but i've been before.




I was heading back and tried another way for Bag Enderby nope nope and then 1/2 mile.

The village is tiny but St Margaret, Bag Enderby (598) was open!



I am full of admiration for small communities that maintain their church at all costs. I of course donated.

I knew the next would be open. St James, Louth (599) is one of the great churches (and the 92nd of Jenkins top 100)








Can you imagine what a spire like that must have seemed like 500 years ago? The steeple is the tallest on a parish church in England 295feet.

I trundled into Caistor walked down the path to have St Peter & St Paul Caistor home to the Gad Whip 6ft of stick and 7ft of last become 600!


And no I'll never do the next 400 and I've no idea when I'll reach 700!

2 comments:

Cherrypie said...

Louth, Caistor and Tattershall. 3 of my favourite places too. This is great fun x

The Quacks of Life said...

I never had time to explore Louth and Caistor what are they like. Tattershall is great nice views from up there.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.