Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Feel Good Stories

I am in need of feel good stories. This one about Penguins stranded of Rio beaches caught my eye. Apparently 100 Penguins stranded in Brazil will be taken back to Antartica by the Brazilian Airforce and Navy.

The penguins wash up after floating on Antarctic ice floes which melt.

Actually along with a Hummer (any Hummer!!) a wild Penguin is the bird I'd most like to see. One day (bloody unlikely though).

Ok so I suspect there is an element of electioneering by Arnie in this one but all credit to him for being a republican who can see sense on climate change.

More good news I had loads of Sparrows on the feeders this morning. I've also seen House Martins over the house. Does this mean they are thinking of heading South? Its August. BIG SIGH.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a great story about the penguins, thanks for posting the link :-)

I know, August already, it doesn't seem that long since all the birds arrived for the summer.

Anonymous said...

Most of the swifts will be gone in a couple of weeks, but the house martins usually hang atround until late September or early October.

The Quacks of Life said...

it just struck me as odd as it was the first time I'd noticed them this year over the house.

I usually know when the Swallows have started there is a place on my drive to work they seem to congregate.

KAZ said...

I'm home now and I'll really miss the sparrows who are everywhere in Spain. We get a wonderful variety of birds on the feeder in Manchester(city) but never a sparrow.

Unknown said...

Around here the swallows gather outside my in-laws house - I often wonder how they know where to go.

The Quacks of Life said...

One of the miracles of nature migration.

Did you know adult Swallows go first. This years young go later. They make it all the way from here to South Africa and they've never been before and have no guide.

Which is why Bill Oddie has them as his fave bird.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.