Thursday, July 27, 2006

Well that's unexpected!

as you will have read I'm new to the world of dragonflies so I'm coming across new species quite often.

While it I went to Dersingham Bog to see a Black Darter, whilst coming back through the woods I came across a "Hawker" Dragonfly. It was black and blue so I could discount Southern Hawker and the amount of black on the side discounted Emperor. Unfortunately I couldn't get on any id pointers. I know you can separate Common and Migrant Hawker on size but I wasn't sure. I thought it was largish and the habitat also suggested Common. And the field guide suggested that Common also frequents woodland rides well away from water...... but i didn't tick it.

Now scroll forward a week. I have JUST got out of the shower !! I walked to the bathroom window and start to close it. I hear movement. And there on the window is a blue/black hawker dragon. I reopened the window and it flew off. If I had noticed it before touching the window I could have got a photo!! BUT the size was not big so this was Migrant Hawker and I'm now sure that the Dragon last week was bigger so was a Common.

Anyway first time I've found a lifer in my bathroom!!

1 comment:

nicola said...

How great is that, all I get is spiders and moths and funny bugs that stick into your fingers and you cant shake them off

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.