Monday, July 03, 2006

The News Today

And so a new week begins.

Its a curious fact that I seldom ever buy a newspaper. I don't see the pointI just know I wouldn't read it. This is a pity because I'm sure I'm missing out on some excellent pieces - aka Ally's link to the article in The Independent.

I buy the Telegraph when away despite disagreeing with its politics. I happen to like the Sports pages and it has some good book reviews. The Indi is a great paper but I find the layout annoying. I can't get on with the Gaurdian. I've given the Times the
heave ho. I won't support Murdock.

Someone suggested the magazine The Week, has anyone tried it?

As it is thequacksoflife gets its new input from either the BBC website or BBC radio (I swap between Radio 4, Radio 5 live and the World Service - the later is well worth a try btw). The fact is I spend an hour and a half a day in a car so I may as well catch up on the news when I have nothing better to do.

Radio 5 is sort of the tabloid version of Radio 4. Whereas Radio 4 is a quality broadsheet Radio 5 is its tabloid brother. This is of course a BBC tabloid so it is doesn't pander to as low a level as commercial equivalents and can be a bit PC.

To be fair there are some excellent broadcasters on Radio 5. Peter Allen and Jane Garvey are a wonderful pairing. Simon Mayo is surprisingly good, and Anita Anand and Shelagh Fogarty are both presenters who are very radio friendly.

Annoyingly the excellent Fi Glover has gone and I now have to listen to the irritating Nicky Campbell of a morning. And just when you thought it couldn't get more irritating than Eamonn Holmes on a Saturday morning they bring in Kirsty Gallacher. Lovely to look at but this is radio.

The world service is odd. It gives you a totally different perspective when they read out a text on George Bush from Bekile in Ethiopia. The World Today 5:00 - 7:30am and Europe today 4:00-5:00pm are excellent and worth seeking out.

It isn't slickly produced and is less personality driven. It also tries to be objective. Excellent stuff. Will politicians and the tabloids please note - The BBC has to be impartial its its not a state broadcaster from Eastern Europe.

It is interesting that in the 21st century I am more likely to go to the Radio before TV for what is happening in the world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Uurgh! Eamonn Holmes. A man who could be used as the dictionary definition of the word smarmy.

Anonymous said...

Listened to Kirsty Gallacher on Saturday for about 10 minutes before I could tolerate her no longer. The radio had to be turned off before I drove into an oncoming lorry to end it all. She is an unbelievably poor presenter.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.