Friday, July 28, 2006

Friends Reunited

School days were not the happiest of my life. I have found my adult life far more satisfying.

I mention this because 5 years ago I joined Friends Reunited. I should say as a lurker since I joined under an assumed name. I will admit to morbid curiosity as to what old friends are up to.

I didn't learn much many of them are married with kids and that's about all I learned. Barry Sanders has gone to Austrailia. The thing is I have no desire to meet any of them. I tend to take the view that as I haven't seen some of them for 24 years do I want to now? If I was that bothered i'd have made an effort wouldn't I (There are work colleagues became friends with and after we parted ways we still keep in touch).

Its odd though that you read stories of 1st loves meeting up and then getting together ditching their existing partners. I'd love to know if these relationships work out. You read the initial story in a newspaper but they don't tell you what happened in the longer term. I suspect many don't work out.

4 comments:

KAZ said...

Hey I agree about ‘Friends Reunited’ most of the members only join because they are Vice Chancellor of a university, have 6 kids who all graduated from Oxford or made a million before they were 27.
The naughty, interesting ones - you never hear from them!

Cherrypie said...

I'm with you and Kaz on that. I'm still in touch with most of the people I liked at school although I did get an email from a good friend who now lives in Sheffield and we've met up a couple of times, which was really lovely. So far, no old flames have been rekindled nor are they likely to be ( as I always preferred older boys with cars than the drongos at school)

Anonymous said...

For me, the novelty of Friends Reunited wore off fairly quickly. I removed all my details when the site was bought by ITV.

However, I did make contact with one old friend who now lives in Hungary. We stay in touch via our blogs.

flicker said...

I got back in touch with quite a few people from school when I joined, but I wouldn't say they were particular friends, I only had a couple of close friends at school, and neither of them are on it, same goes for college people, two close friends, neither on it. Once you get over the initial wow how are you, what have you done with your life since etc there's normally not much left to say. I still keep in touch with the sister of one good friend I had from work, we email about once a month or so. The only good thing to come out of it was I am now back in touch with Sandi from it who I used to share a house with, otherwise I guess I'd not have realised she was into computers now, and our paths would probably not have crossed again.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.