Monday, July 24, 2006

Being a blogger is dangerous its official

Whilst on holiday I came across this story about a blogger who was sacked becuase her blog Petite Anglaise apparently identified the company she worked for and that she updated it on company time (please note I'm at lunch!). Its not the first instance of someone losing there job because their employer took exception to a blog either.

Now I am very careful NOT to mention anything about my employer and this is a trend I will maintain. I don't fancy losing my job!

That said I hardly see what she has done wrong. To me it seems like the firm could do with a sense of humour transplant. Her employers claim that by posting her picture people could identify the company. Methinks they doth protest to much. The clientele of the company Dixon Wilson Associates (who the eff are they anyway?) are unlikely to be reading it and anyway they have shown themselves to be a bunch of humourless nerks and I bet they are cringing under the bad publicity they are getting.

I suspect that La Petite Anglaise herself has litte to fear. She'll probably get a book deal and make a packet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A cautionary tale indeed!

Anonymous said...

The best way to make sure everybody knows who the company is, is for them to fire their blogging employee.

Bright - not!

Interesting looking blog - will add it to my blog feeds. Its fame grows.

Cherrypie said...

I saw that article in the ST too. I've read her blog from time to time. I've also made a mental note never to blog during company time. No-one knows I do it at work and I think I want to keep it that way.

The Quacks of Life said...

i have no problem colleagues knowing i blog since work is off limits.

I tend to update in lunch hours on pre start of day.

Anonymous said...

There's a poll (or was) on CNN.com about whether or not people should expect to get hauled over the coals if caught blogging about work and colleagues. I can't help thinking it's not much of a poll - no room for the grey areas! Probably it was designed that way. I didn't trouble to answer it.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.