Saturday, June 17, 2006

There be Dragons.

Dave - Do you want to go and see a Scops Owl.

Me - Uh No.

Dave - think about it

Me - Uh No.

Dave - you aren't keen are you!!

I woke this morning to find my left eye lid swollen. Looked like I had been in a boxing match! Took an antihistemine and the swelling went down. Bloody insects!! So off to Wicken Fen to boost my dragonfly list. Ok known species 2! Banded Damselfly and Blue Tailed Damselfly.

It was a lovely morning.




Whoosh whoosh, ah this Dragonfly lark is going to be fun. So I've seen Common Whitethroat, lots of Reed Warblers and Sedge Warblers, Reed Buntings, loads of Hirundines when what's that....

Uhm ok its a Dragonfly!! Its one of those fat ones.... uhm Darter or Chaser female Black-tailed Skimmer (later I found they were about!!).

Ooh and what's this? Ok the camera is pushing it here. The abdominal segments are Blue and the thorax bit is a mix of Green and Black so Hairy Dragonfly?



So ever onwards and I came back towards the visitors centre and Dragonfly heaven.



Ther were lots of those "identical" little Blue Damselflies... and lots of these Four Spotted Chaser's.




Anyway those "identical" blue damselflies

Here we go Azure Damselfly


but hang on this one is different. I think we have here a Variable Damselfy.



I also "reacquainted" myself with Blue Tailed Damselfly and Red-eyed Damselfly.

oh and more of our old friend



Wonderful flyers and they were having a ding dong aerial with a Hairy Dragonfly. Whilst just standing watching I was aware that there were Chiffchaff about and just how many Reed and Sedge I was seeing.

So where to now? Headed to RSPB headquarters.

The Lodge, Victorian Tudor.



The hide over looks a feeding station with a couple of ponds (our friend 4 spot again). This used to be brilliant for Marsh Tit but I miss them these days.

Not a bird!


I shouldn't be here.


oh go on, if you insist!


There were lots of Juveniles about including Goldcrest. Oh and Spotted Flycatcher's were in evidence which I was pleased to see.

The pond infront of the lodge threw up a pair of Azure Damselflies.



Now I know its not great but there are two species here and I'm thinking Common Blue.

Super day. I think I extended my "list" from 2 to 9!!

No doubt Diane will tell me I've got it all wrong.

5 comments:

nicola said...

Looks lovely there, I will put on my list of places to go! Great photos too.....it does make a nice change not to just be looking at birds, I find now that Im looking at everything and everything excites me, all the different bugs and beetles they can have such interesting colours and patters.........hope for flutterbies tomorrow

DH59 said...

I think the first one could be Common Darter. May have just emerged.

Not sure on the blues without a better look at the abdominal patterns, but last one could be Common Blue - the females are different colours.

The Quacks of Life said...

sure it wasn't common darter, saw another later and it was marginally longer than 4 spotted.

The Birdman said...

Nearly went to Wicjen Fen when I was down there t'other day.

Looks good...

Hmmm... 9 species eh... well, 9 more than me!

The Quacks of Life said...

Hi Dave

it certainly adds to the birding experience. The things turn on a sixpence!!

so much to learn.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.