Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Grumps

Oh I love the coast! Well I do when its boiling hot, it was so much nicer sleeping at Flamborough where there was a breeze. It was like an oven last night, the morning rain will have dried up so I can cut the grass tonight. Yes once more the hover and I will do battle!

If you read the Awdiddums blog you will notice a link to an article in the Scotsman about an English company stopping a conference in Scotland becuase of the Scots lack of support of the English national team.

Now why should Scotland support England? Ok you get the odd bit of bigotry on both sides but for most people this is good natured banter. And frankly given how over the top English people and media get I wouldn't blame them for supporting anyone but England. I will cheer on most people against Scotland (I have a Scottish colleague who will cheer on anyone but Wales. I do draw the line at the Aussies and the USA, oh and Wales at Rugby but blame Welsh rugby obsessed sports teachers for that one! In the case of the Aussies its good natured banter. And lets give the Aussies a slap on the back over the ashes defeat. Did they whinge? blame the umpires? Nope they said the better team won. And that's the way it should be you play hard, you play to win, you give it everything. And whatever the result you have a beer afterwards.

What really winds me up is being told, whenever a home nation isn't in a competition is, that I should support the Irish. Uh why? As far as I'm aware they are a foreign country so why should I support them? Brazil v Ireland? Samba football or hoof it up the field? I'll cheer Brazil thank you. The silky skills of the Czechs or the hoof it up the field? Czechs please. No offence to the Irish, hey they gave us Terry Wogan! I just don't understand why the TV boys think I should cheer on the Irish.

Going up the M11 Saturday I saw some bloke reversing back down the hard shoulder because he had missed the Airport turn off. You have to shake your head.

I didn't mention that I got stuck on the M11 yesterday due to an overturned lorry. Now I don't like Lorries at the best of times. What really gets my goat is when you are flying along and then everything backs up becuase some Lorry is going past another at one inch per mile. After five minutes it gets past and in the next 10 second 407 cars fly past it. AAARRGGGHHHH.

Its interesting what upsets people.

Paul O'Grady (Lizzie Savage) gets upset by woman who spend ages rooting through there purses for change. This irritated Bill Bryson as well.
Develop-your-own-film-birder (Diane) gets upset by people driving 10 miles under the limit.
And Birdman(Dave) really does get steam coming out of his ears at Americanisms like Skedule as we found out Sunday.

Me? I really hate queueing, I don't want pleasant assistants who pass the time of day and no my life story. I want to walk in and walk out PDQ.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a good trip all in all. It's been so hot here as well, I wake up weighing half of what I did when I went to bed these days... then I fill up with water again ;)

I couldn't care less about the world cup to be honest, unless they start filming in the locker rooms I'm keeping faaaar away. I heard about a guy who yelled and screamed and then a TV came flying out of his balcony when Sweden didn't win what-ever-game-it-was. Sports hooligans ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm allergic to queues as well - especially at Christmas in the Post Office when someone decides to have a bundle of cards all individually stamped at the counter.

Anonymous said...

I searched this one out and read it again. The bit about lorries made me chuckle out loud. :-). Am linking to this from my sole football post which is being copied to my new blog...

Anonymous said...

PS Just had a thought - if you want to change your link to me in this post, I will delete the old one on Blogigo. Searching for 'football' on my WordPress blog will throw up the right post.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.