Sunday, May 21, 2006

Hotels

The Yorkshire Bridge Inn, Bamford, Derbyshire.













Rooms are ok, mine had a double bed but there is no way you would want two people in it. Still it was comfy, very quiet and tastefully decorated. The shower worked!

Food was of a decent pub standard and portions were ample. Service was a bit chaotic as Cheryl noticed but it never affected me. It seemed to attracy a lot of family parties and was busy. The Copper Ale from the Skipton Brewery was the tipple of choice.

B&B was £50 and you could have a 3 course meal plus two pints for between £20-£25. I'm not likely to stay in the area in the near future but if I do I'll checkout the nearby Rising Sun (food better!). The Miners Arms at Eyam also has better food but rooms are basic.


The Queen's Head, Hawkshead.












Big minus, parking is in a nearby pay & display but you get a pass (I didn't know this on booking!).

Room comfy and more spacious. Bath not a shower (which I'd prefer). It had all the desired features and the complimentary chocolates were a nice touch. The room was above the bar you could hear a degree of noise but the House Martins woke me up!

Food had been awarded an AA rosette and had pretensions. It was better than the Yorkshire Bridge but more of a good pub standard than restaurant standard. Serving staff were very pleasant.

Beer from Harley's & Robinson's was good. Breakfast was 8:30 t0 9 and I would have preferred an early start.

I had stayed at the Fat Lamb Ravenstonedale previously and chose the Queen's Head for its more central location. In reality the roads meant that for my purposes the Fat Lamb with quicker access to the M6 would have been a better choice.

Price paid ? If you go Sunday - Thursday then Dinner Bed & Breakfast is £70 but Friday and Saturday no such offer exists and it is £60 plus food. For my five night break it worked out at £80 per night including beer.

3 comments:

nicola said...

looks like you have had a lovely time...welcome back!

flicker said...

Blimey, I am living in the past, had no idea B&B was that expensive. When my friend came to stay here last year, she was going to go B&B as I only have the one bedroom, and we checked on a few and most were around £30, and we thought that was too expensive!

Anyway, at least it didn't rain all the time then. The Lake District looks lovely, must see it one day.

The Quacks of Life said...

Nic - ta, back @ work now bleurgh

Jan - well you can get cheaper B&B's but I tend to like places that do food so that bumps the price up a bit.

And yes I think that I pay too much but ......

The Lakes are lovely. I stuck to the less popular ones. They can get very busy in Summer.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.