Thursday, March 02, 2006

Spring is on the Way

No really! I know that it is brass monkey weather out there but Spring is really on the way. There is one sure fire sign of that. And that is? The birds are singing!! At Titchwell on Saturday the male Chaffinches were perching up in full finery singing there little hearts out. A Song Thrush regaled Dave and I in Tesco's Car Park in Hunstanton as we stopped for breakfast.

Yes folks the weather is still cold but the feathered chaps know Spring that is coming. I believe one brave pair of Blackbirds have already raised one brood! For me though Spring really starts when the first migrants return. Yes I know some over winter but when the first birds turn up from their return migration I know that Spring has come.

I know that every part of the year holds some interest for the birder but for me the best time of the year is when I can walk through a wood and listen to the birds in full voice or on a warm evening throw open the windows and listen to a Blackbird sing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we were walking alongside our brook in Belmont and the hedges were alive with all types of birds: blackbirds, robins, goldfinches, wrens, and down by the brook, two goldfinches and a pied wagtail havin a little drink!

Super!

Anonymous said...

couldnt agree more

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.