Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I don't like technology

No really I don't!

Let's give you an example. I would like to buy a digital camera. Easy uh? well no. I'd like to take some pictures of birds as well.

This means I have two options. I can either digiscope or I can go the DSLR route. The former is proably the cheapest route, for a start I have a decent scope, but there are times when I don't want to take a scope with me so that would seem to imply the DSLR route. BUT, I am a birder! I don't want to carry lots and lots of gear. I want something reasonably portable as well, I do not want something that weighs 45 kilos! The Nikon D50 looks sort of what I want but then we get into lenses and any lens that meets my weight category, Sigma 28-300, is deemed not adequate and I actually want a 50-500 which is way too heavy (and lets face it too pricey). And then I've to load them on to a PC blah de blah.

No it's a daft idea so I'll just stick to my bins thanks very much.

The problem with technology is that it changes the natural order of things. E.g
  • The woman who lost her appeal to use frozen embryos because her ex-partner would not give consent.
  • Anyone donating sperm for embryology today could one day find someone standing on the doorstep saying Daddy.

I don't know about you but it scares the willies out of me! I have this horrible feeling that our technological ability is far outstripping our moral ability to make reasoned decisions on these issues. Although I happen to think the courts got the embryo one right - however sad the case is.

One day, no doubt, we'll be able to grow clones and have our entire memories stored in a new vital young body. Isn't that exciting? Not really sounds deadly dull to me. Society needs new exciting ideas not the same old sterile ideas from the same old people. And anyway could you imagine an eternity writing effing computer programs, doing admin, testing circuit boards or installing traffic calming ideas. No retirement? A life of turning up to the office every day? Shiver.

No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.